Streets of Rage 3 (known as Bare Knuckle 3 in Japan version (ベア・ナックル III)) is a side-scrolling beat 'em up released by Sega in 1994 for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. It is the last part of the Streets of Rage series. It was later released for the Japanese version of Sonic Gems Collection for the GameCube and PlayStation 2, and for the Wii Virtual Console on . The game also appeared in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
Playable Characters Edit
- Axel Stone
- Blaze Fielding
- Eddie "Skate" Hunter
- Dr. Gilbert Zan
- Shiva (unlocked by holding onto the B button after defeating him)
- Roo (unlocked by defeating his cruel master Bruce and letting him go free)
- Ash (unlocked by holding onto the A Button after defeating him, only in Japanese version)
- Ash (sub-boss and unlockable character, only appears in the Japanese version)
- Shiva (first boss and unlockable character, is the final boss if you fail to save the general from round 6)
- Bruce and Roo (sub-bosses, Roo is an unlockable character)
- Mona & Lisa (second boss)
- Robot Axel (third boss)
- Yamato (fourth boss)
- Robo-X (fifth boss, final boss if playing on Easy Mode in the English version)
- Jet (sixth boss)
- Dr. Dahm (sub-boss)
- Robot Y (controlled by the disembodied brain of Mr. X, final boss if the player succeeds in saving the general in stage 6)
Regional differences Edit
Bare Knuckle 3 is significantly different from Western counterpart in terms of gameplay, graphics, sound and plotline.It is known as original Version.
- As usual BK's Sammy becomes SOR's Skate. But this time around the Japanese and Western names are quite different. BK3's punk names are very similar to those of SOR2, with Galsia instead of SOR3's Garcia. Sega of America for some reason saw fit to rename them all pretty badly. The weapons are also heavily renamed, this time for the better.
- The main characters in Bare Knuckle 3 sport their Streets of Rage 2 costumes, so Axel is blue and white and Blaze is in red. Also, some the enemies have different costumes; in Round 1 Shiva has the dark green costume that he wears as the final boss in SOR3 instead of his normal one.
- Electra and the new woman punk enemy are somewhat scantily clad in Bare Knuckle 3 and were covered up by Sega of America for Streets of Rage 3.
- Axel saying "Grand Upper" in the Japanese version when he does his special, but "Bare Knuckle" in the American version.
- The Japanese version also has a seventh playable character named Ash that's accessible via a cheat, and that appears in-game as a boss. Ash is also a pretty blatant caricature of gay males, so Sega of America removed him and a group of punks and Shiva.
- In BK3's Good Ending Blaze wears somewhat less than she does in SOR3.